I keep saying that I am learning so much but I have not shared anything yet. One thing that has become very real to me is how God totally prepares us for our next steps. I have known this is true for a long time, but sometimes God can just make it so obvious and real as if I am learning it for the first time. He is such an awesome, big, sovereign Provider and Sustainer. Not that He makes everything easy for us to do, but I see it like we are climbing stairs. He prepares us to climb the next step, and though it is higher and harder, He uses and builds on what He has already brought us through.
Being here at EFP, I have been able to have a little glimpse at how God has been equipping me for this. Taking from Deuteronomy 31:8 and one of Amy Carmichael's sayings, He goes before. He has gone before, preparing the way and preparing me to walk this path.
Preparations:
Though I had never been to EFP, I had been to Honduras before so knew what to expect in some aspects. Safety precautions, weather and bugs, clothing considerations, the Spanish language.
Another way in which I was prepared that makes me smile is the countless times I have driven truck on the farm, and how comfortable I have become with driving "stick shift." (Dad, did you ever think I would move on from the little blue Fords?) Now I have driven a diesel busito(van) all over Puerto Cortes, and it has only died on me once (I accidentally put it in 5th instead of 1st after a speed bump! Oops!). To say you have driven in a third world country where a horn is used in place of blinkers, brakes, exchange of greetings, and venting of feelings is quite a feat.
The thing that is glaring at me, dripping with irony, is the fact that we will be moving to another house in the span of the 2 1/2 weeks that I am still here. Moving! I moved out of an apartment to a house in Emporia in May, and declared if I never moved again it would be too soon because of everything involved. Here I am, two months later, considering moving 15 girls to another house that is two hours away. (Doh, you want to come help keep me sane again?) I struggled with a bad attitude during moving in May, and I remember thinking that I needed to work on my attitude so that the next time, it would be better. Now, I have a chance to be stretched and grow again. I am really praying for strength, extra patience, and a cheerful, willing attitude. I really cannot do anything without God, but through Him, I can do all things. He has equipped me for this next step.
Also, this makes me realize that, if you are reading this, God has used you in some way to help prepare me for this too and for what is ahead. Isn't our heavenly Father so big and great to have orchestrated everything in each of our lives??? Wow, it is totally unfathomable!
Anyways, that is a little of what I have been learning and thinking about if you care to know. It lacks much eloquence and sounds better in my head, but thanks for reading!
Sherlynn, you have a heart that is beautifully growing toward the Son...and I love that about you! Praying for you.
ReplyDeleteOh Sherlynn, I could list many other ways God has prepared you through the years--living with sisters, creatively entertaining yourselves with what you had, etc. No experience is wasted in God's economy!! Just think of how He is going to use this summer! Make the most of every day and He will use you. Love you so much and pray much for you.
ReplyDeleteThey say that moving is one of life's most stressful situations, but as the Lord has prepared you in advance for this good work, He will supply your needs of patience, peace, organizational skills, joy and encouragement for this time. You already HAVE all of these things - I know - I've seen those wonderful characteristics in you over the years.
ReplyDeleteAnd what a great blessing that the Lord has revealed to you of His preparations in your life. I loved your stairs analogy - what a great picture! (I might steal it for the youth group sometime!) He prepares us, too, by watching other believers who are also climbing the stairs, and you are helping to prepare those sweet girls, too, for their next step - whatever and wherever that may be!